What is it?
Cloudy water is a hazy, murky appearance that is caused by introduction of suspended particles that are invisible to the naked eye. A similar analogy would be the particles in air that cause smoke. These impurities are introduced into the water from a myriad of environmental sources, even bathers and source water. Particles can intensify and cause water to cloud due to improper water balance, low sanitizer levels and/or lack of routine oxidation, poor filtration or inadequate circulation.
To fix chemical causes of cloudy water:
- Test water to determine current chemistry conditions
- Add pH Decreaser if pH is high
- Add Water Clarifier to help remove particles to the filter
- Add Enhanced Shock or Spa Shock to oxidize contaminants
- Add Brominating Concentrate or Chlorinating Concentrate to boost low sanitizer levels
To fix equipment causes of cloudy water:
- Improper filtration can be a cause of cloudy water
- Use Filter Cleaner to clean dirty filter media
To prevent cloudy water:
- Chemically clean filter every 4-6 weeks
- Replace filter media as directed
- Maintain proper water balance
- Oxidize water weekly to destroy contaminants*
*such as perspiration, suntan lotions, hair sprays, body oils, urine, pet dander, and cosmetics.